Saturday, October 6, 2012

TIME WELL SPENT-EASY WALL DECOR

OUT OF THE DORMS AND INTO AN APARTMENT-SOPHOMORE YEAR

As most of you know, kids are in a hurry to to get out of the dorms as soon as possible.  As you also know, most of the housing leaves a lot to be desired.  When you do find something decent, the walls are generally a sterile shade of white and nail holes are prohibited.  Now, having two boys first, this really didn't pose an issue.  However, my last one is a girl, and "pretty" matters.  She asked me to help her decorate and I jumped at the chance.  (I want to be an interior decorator when I grow up!)  

Not sure of how much abuse loving care the decor would get in a college apartment (wink, wink), I wanted it to be inexpensive.  I also wanted it to have a lot of color to offset all the white walls.  Finally, I wanted it to be light so that we could hang it will Command strips.  The solution was paper-mache letters all blinged out!  (If you're interested in the steps I used to put the letters together, I have included them below.)





1.  I purchased 8-inch, paper-mache letters at a local craft store and painted them with black Rust-0-leum.  (Agreed, this seems a little bit odd.  However, I had it on hand and with the letters being in a steamy bathroom, I wanted something that would seal the paper well!)  I did apply several coats to ensure it was well covered. 

2.  I added some adhesive bling to each of the letters.  To add additional interest, I used my Cricut to cut out card stock flowers (two per flower) and glued adhesive, larger-bling circles to the center.  I then gently folded the inner flower up to create dimension. 

3.  I finished the letters by adding flat Command strips for hanging.

Voila, an inexpensive, easy way to decorate your wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment